It’s great that in 2009 there’s a term to accurately describe a “friend” who really wants to backstab, gossip and break your soul apart– with a smile on their face, ofcourse.
Yet again, does that really make her a friend?
Friends are supposed to be honest, trustworthy, compassionate and fun. Most importantly, they are there to boost your self-esteem rather than quash it with a bitter tweet or a passive aggressive Facebook status update: Oh, times have truly changed.
Frenemies are actually enemies in the guise of a friend who really want to compete, backstab and ultimately, bring you down.
If this term seems foreign and unfathomable to you, let me break it down. Have you ever had an itch that you can’t completely scratch but that itch won’t go away, inspite of the effort you put into scratching it?
That aforementioned description is what a frenemy is.You can’t stand the fact that they give you a bad feeling inside whenever they chill with your buds yet you can’t cut them out out of your life forever since it will sour your other relations fast. They are that itch you want to scratch but can’t, since it will create a rash all over your body of friends and family.
The biggest victims of this itch are women since our social circles are plagued with these fake, jealous, insecure backstabbers. Over the years, I tried to scratch that itch from my life but learned, over time, to simply not react to their bitter ways.
Throughout my struggle, I did learn how to spot a frenemy:
- Does she/he make nasty remarks by “accident” but sugar it up with a falsetto sweet voice just to irk you.
- Does she/he make you feel nervous, scared and unhappy? These itches try to one up you and make it that it’s bad for you to be yourself.
- Have you ever had a bitter feeling inside whenever you interacted with her/him? If you get that feeling, please do not ignore it. Your gut instinct is telling you that this person is out to get you.
- Has she ever been consistent in her foul behavior against you? And what I mean by foul is :Manipulate you with passive aggressive behavior, insult you, use you for her own agenda, and ignore your feelings and requests just to mess with you.
- Has she stolen all of your friends, turned them against you or has gotten your pals to consistently make you the butt of every joke in public?
- Do you have a love/hate relationship with her whenever you think about her?
If you have spotted a frenemy amongst your group of friends, calm down and remember the world will not end. You just need to brush up on your acting skills and put alot of distance between the two of you.
I mean, why lower yourself at her game when you can be the confident person by ignoring her insecure attempts at bringing you down? Just smile, say something positive, and walk away– FAST!